Understanding How Your Degree Works

Understanding How Your Degree Works

Once you’ve selected your degree program, you’ll need to understand how your degree works. You’ll find that your Course requirements are grouped in blocks. Those that you have already completed are listed first, followed by those that you need to complete. And if you need to take another course, you can do so by taking an Exceptions course.

Course requirements are listed in blocks

A student’s degree audit shows courses that the student has taken and that are applied to a block that satisfies a specific requirement. Courses that the student has registered for but have not yet been completed will appear at the bottom of the degree audit in a block labeled “in progress.” These courses may display an IP (in progress) grade or may have a letter grade with a parenthesis next to it indicating that the grade is not yet final.

The audit’s block structure is organized to show specific requirements for a degree, major, or minor. In each block, a course’s requirements are highlighted. The block’s title contains a number that indicates whether the course fulfills a requirement. If the block requires more than one subject, it will be noted in the block header.

Insufficient courses are those that do not meet the minimum grade requirement for a major or degree. Examples of insufficient courses include courses that have been repeated, reprieved, or renewed. Insufficient courses do not count toward a student’s grade-point average, and will stay in the “insufficient” block until a final grade is assigned.

A student’s degree audit will display a list of course requirements, as well as any prerequisites. Some courses will also list the credits required for a major or minor. A student can also view the GPA for each of these prerequisites if necessary. A block’s header will have a symbol indicating whether or not a student has met all requirements, such as the required English and Math courses. However, not all degree-related courses are listed in this manner.

Courses that have been completed are listed first

When you are using the Degree Works system, make sure to check the courses that have been completed first. You may have taken courses that are listed on the Degree Works system before but may not have completed them. In this case, a D/F will appear in the Insufficient Block and an Included course will appear in the appropriate place in the audit. In this case, you should contact your academic advisor.

The Degree Works system also includes information on credits earned from examinations. This information is processed by the Academic Records Coordinator and appears on your degree audit. It is important to note that this is not an official transcript. Regardless, the system can be helpful in monitoring your degree progress.

The Degree Works system also allows you to plan ahead for future coursework. You can plan your coursework and see how far you have come in terms of your academic goals. The audit will show you what courses you’ve taken, where you’re on track for your degree, and how much work is left to do.

The Degree Works page also includes a feature called “Generate PDF” that allows you to print a copy of the current student audit. You can also save an electronic copy of the audit.

Courses that have not been completed are listed last

When a course is listed as “Insufficient” in DegreeWorks, it means that the student did not meet the minimum grade requirement for their degree/major. These courses can include W or F courses, or those that have been repeated, reprieved, or renewed. These courses are not included in credit hours or grade-point averages and will remain in this category until the final grade is assigned.

Degree Works has many features. These include a planner, notes, GPA Calculator, and a “What If” feature. These features can help you identify what courses are necessary to complete a degree. These features are also helpful when planning your schedule and determining what to focus on.

Degree Works utilizes information from your transcript to list completed, registered, and transferred courses. Unofficial transfer work and grade changes will not appear on the Program Evaluation, but the unmet course requirements will show up on Degree Works. Once you know which courses you need to complete, you can begin the process of applying to graduate. You can do this by selecting the “Graduate Application” link in Degree Works.

Using Degree Works is a useful way to see how you stack up against other students who have the same degree requirements as you. It’s also helpful to consult an advisor for any questions or concerns you may have.